Here are seven ideas for what to do with that awkward gap.
- Put some baskets up there and stash your stuff in them.
- Use the space to store cookbooks.
- Add a little art.
- Squeeze in some extra wine storage.
- Add an extra shelf above the cabinets.
- Fill the space in.
Do you have to decorate above kitchen cabinets?
As a general rule, if you have under 2′ of space above kitchen cabinetry, very tall armoires or built-ins, don’t decorate the space. All too often, doing so dates you to the 1990’s and the area does nothing but catch dust.
What is the space above kitchen cabinets called?
A kitchen soffit is usually a boxy structure built to hide wiring, pipes, or other mechanicals, or to fill the space between the top of your cabinets and the ceiling. Depending on the age of your home they may be very large and perhaps even extend out past the cabinets.
Should my kitchen cabinets go to the ceiling?
Inexperienced designers, architects, interior designers, and home owners usually do not. This is just the tip of the ice berg for good kitchen design. 1 ) Never leave crown moldings closer than 9 inches from a ceiling. Once you get within a foot of the ceiling you should have the cabinetry and molding meet ceiling.
What can I put on top of my kitchen cabinets to keep them clean?
Keep Them Clean
Once you’ve got the tops of your cabinets clean, there’s a cheap kitchen staple you can use to keep them that way: wax paper! “Wax paper is a fantastic solution because it collects the grease, allowing you to simply remove the paper, throw it away, and replace,” says Napelbaum.
Why do kitchen cabinets not go to ceiling?
Because of this most stock cabinets were designed to accommodate this height in one of two ways. The cabinetry including trim does not go to the ceiling. Typically the wall cabinets and trim will be just below the ceiling. Any house crown molding will continue around the room, above the cabinetry.
How can I make my kitchen look expensive?
10 Sneaky Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look Expensive
- Choose a luxurious color palette (and play with texture) Photo by Medallion Cabinetry.
- Reinvent tired cabinets with new hardware. Photo by DC Home Photos.
- Paint (or add glass doors to) your cabinets.
- Put your best stems forward.
- Update the light fixtures.
- Recast the backsplash.
- Upgrade your view.
- Paint the countertops.
What do you put on kitchen counters?
11 Things to Put on Your Kitchen Countertops
- Coffee Station. Morning coffee is a must for most people.
- Spices + Oils. Putting bottles of oil and spices on display not only looks great, it will inspire you to try new recipes, too.
- Display Cutting Boards + Trays.
- Tiny Home Office.
- Repurposed Boxes.
- Kitchen Staples.
- Art Display.
- Fresh Fruits.
How do you dress up kitchen cabinets?
12 Easy Ways to Upgrade Basic Kitchen Cabinets
- Add Task Lighting or Uplighting. Installing lighting on cabinets isn’t just a practical improvement.
- Remove the Doors.
- Add Glass Door Inserts.
- Install Roll-Out Shelving.
- Replace Door Fronts With Chicken Wire.
- Add Crown Molding.
- Add Lid Storage.
- Spice Up Your Doors.
Can you remove soffit above kitchen cabinets?
In some cases, a kitchen soffit can be removed–and in other cases, they can be disguised to look like cabinets or existing foundation designs of the home. It’s possible to recreate a kitchen soffit that will work best for your space, depending on your style and the amount of room you have available.
What is a Furr down?
The furr down is the enclosed area between the cabinets and ceiling. An enclosed area between the top of a kitchen cabinet and the ceiling is often called a “furr down.” Removing the furr down can give a kitchen a more open feel but it can also expose plumbing, wiring or duct work that may be hidden inside.
What is bulkhead above kitchen cabinets?
A kitchen bulkhead is a boxy ceiling structure that is often built to hide unsightly services, such as wiring, pipes, plumbing, air-conditioning or structure. enclosing the space above the kitchen cupboards (example 10)
Photo in the article by “Wikipedia”