Dip a clean paint brush in a whitewash pickling stain and apply it using smooth strokes from the bottom of the cabinet to the top and then back again.
After you have applied the wash, wipe it with a clean, soft cotton cloth.
The harder you wipe, the more the wood grain underneath will show in the finished product.
How do you whitewash oak?
- Place the furniture over a drop cloth.
- Remove old sealant with a chemical stripper (optional).
- Wash the furniture with vinegar and water.
- Sand the furniture.
- Wipe with a clean cloth.
- Purchase or create the whitewash mixture.
- Apply the whitewash to the furniture.
- Work the whitewash into the wood (optional).
How do you whitewash stained wood?
The Best Way to Whitewash Wood
- Stain the wood (or leave it raw for a light finish).
- Mix 2 parts white paint (flat latex or matte acrylic both work fine) with 1 part water.
- Brush on the water/paint mixture in the direction of the wood grain.
- Use a clean rag to wipe off the paint in the direction of the wood grain.
How do you reface oak kitchen cabinets?
Reface. When you reface your kitchen cabinets, it looks like you’ve installed new ones. Refacing means applying a new wood surface over the old cabinet box and then adding matching doors and drawer fronts. After washing and sanding your old cabinets, remove the sanding debris with a tack cloth.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”