Making Straight Cuts in Laminate Countertops
You can also use a jigsaw with a fine-tooth blade.
In this case, you’re cutting from the bottom side of the countertop, using a standard up-cutting blade; you use a down-cutting blade for sink cutouts (see below).
What blade should I use to cut laminate countertop?
The best circular saw blade for cutting through laminate for a kitchen counter is one with many fine teeth — at least 40. Blades with carbide tips tend to last longer than regular steel. In addition, you should choose a narrow blade, or one with thin kerf, as it’s called in saw talk.
How do you cut a laminate countertop?
- With a Laminate Trimmer.
- Step 1 – Trim the Laminate. If you have access to a laminate trimmer, you can simply and easily trim your laminate to the desired size.
- Without a Laminate Trimmer.
- Step 1 – Setup Saw.
- Step 2 – Mark Cut Line.
- Step 3 – Tape the Cut Line.
- Step 4 – Cut The Laminate.
- Step 5 – File the Edges.
How do you cut laminate countertop without chipping?
The Best Way to Cut a Countertop Without Chipping It
- Lay masking tape around the general area where the hole needs to be cut in the countertop.
- Mark the location where you plan to cut the countertop with a pencil over the masking tape.
- Measure a diagonal line inward from each corner of where you intend to cut the countertop.
What is the best way to cut kitchen worktop?
Cut kitchen worktop. When cutting a kitchen worktop it is best if you cut it upside down, this is because the teeth on the blade cut on the way up, so there is much less chance of chipping the worktop. Some people draw a line on the worktop and then score it a few times using a sharp knife, then apply some masking tape
What jigsaw blade to cut kitchen worktop?
That’s because the Bosch T101BR jigsaw blade was chosen for this cut. This blade cuts on the downstroke, not on the upstroke, the “R” in the product code referring to its “reversed” teeth. It’s a popular blade often referred to as a worktop blade, it’s ideal for cutting out sink openings, for example, in worktops.
What is the best tool to cut Formica?
Method 1 Using a Circular Saw to Cut Formica
- Use a circular saw or laminate shears to cut the Formica into large pieces.
- Install the Formica onto the countertop or other location.
- Use a jigsaw with a fine blade to trim the Formica and make any rounded cuts.
- Use a belt sander with a grit of 100 to smooth the edges.
How do you cut a sink for a laminate countertop?
Cutting a Hole in a Countertop for the Sink
- Drill two starter holes in opposite corners just inside the cutting line. Use a 3/4-inch spade bit and drill through the laminate and substrate.
- Place the blade of the jigsaw in the starter hole and line up the blade exactly on the cutting line.
- Cut slowly along the line.
Will Home Depot cut laminate countertops?
Unfortunately we do not cut in stock counter top to size, the saws in the store do not accommodate such a cut. If you are using plastic laminate counter top, Home Depot sells trim kits to finish off the cut end.
How do you install laminate countertop trim?
Suggested clip 67 seconds
DIY Laminate Countertop and Bevel Edge Trim – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
How can I hide laminate edges?
How to Hide Laminate Seams
- Use the edge of your putty knife to scrape out the seams; brush away the debris when finished. Pour a small amount of acetone on a clean rag and wipe down each seam.
- Apply a small amount of seam filler on the plastic plate.
- Scrape excess filler off the countertop with the putty knife.
Can I cut laminate with a utility knife?
Plastic laminate is a durable, waterproof covering often used for kitchen and bathroom countertops. You can use several tools to cut laminates, including a table saw or handheld power saw, a utility knife, a router or a hand slitter. The best cutting approach depends on whether you’re rough cutting or finishing edges.
Can you cut the backsplash off a laminate countertop?
Normally, the backsplash is cut before it is installed. Before installation, you can set the laminate piece on two sawhorses for cutting. If the laminate is already installed, you can still cut it down but the wall texture underneath the laminate will probably need to be refinished afterwards.
Will Lowes cut countertop for you?
Look and see if there is not a company in your area that will cut the counter top for you. Sometimes they will take the Lowe’s countertop and cut it to your specifications.
Can you cut countertop in place?
Cutting Countertops in Place
Try a rotary tool equipped with a cutting wheel or a jigsaw equipped with a fine tooth blade, and cut slowly and carefully through the countertop. Make sure you have someone to support the section you’re cutting off so it doesn’t fall before you’ve finished cutting and crack the laminate.
Photo in the article by “Pexels”