13 Ways to Transform Your Countertops Without Replacing Them
- Before you replace your dingy countertops
- Lay marble tiles on top of your counter.
- Get a marble-style look by layering concrete.
- Paint them to look like granite.
- Give them the brown paper bag treatment.
- Replace countertops with smooth concrete.
- Or coat them with a rough concrete cover.
- Change the color with tinted cement.
How do you redo laminate countertops?
Start by sanding the entire countertop and backsplash / lip areas to rough the surface up a little and help the paint stick permanently. Then, wipe away any debris and clean the surface with a mild soap and water. Wait for the surface to completely dry before moving onto the next step.
What is the least expensive countertop material?
Cheap and Discount Countertops
- Laminate Counters: Learn to Love Laminates.
- Ceramic Tile: Classic Do-It-Yourself Countertop.
- Tile Granite: Slab Granite’s Feel and Look.
- Wood: Great Looks, Low Cost, High Maintenance.
- Modular Engineered Stone: Little-Known “Slab Granite” Alternative.
- Solid Surface: Increasingly Cheaper, DIY Option.
- Why so Expensive?
What is a cheaper alternative to granite countertops?
Fortunately, there are plenty of other choices that offer beauty, durability, and a great return on your investment. Check out these nine popular granite alternative countertops to find the one that fits your style and budget.
- Stainless Steel.
- Sintered Stone.
Can you replace backsplash without replacing countertops?
While this is an ideal time to replace your backsplash, you may decide to keep your backsplash if it matches your new countertops. You can often save money on a new countertop installation by removing the old countertop yourself. Fortunately, you can remove your current countertops without using a reciprocating saw.
How much does it cost to replace countertops?
New Countertop Installation Costs. The expense to install a countertop averages around $3,000, including $10 to $30 per square foot for labor. Basic pricing depends on: the materials you choose.
Can you put new laminate over old laminate countertops?
If you’re installing over existing laminate, the old countertop surface should be thoroughly sanded and cleaned to remove all debris and contaminants. Test-fit the laminate. In some cases, you can set the sheet in place, and use a marker to trace the shape of the countertop on the underside of the new laminate.
How much does it cost to replace a laminate countertop?
Labor: laminate countertop installers typically charge $30-$40 per hour and can complete the project in around one day (8 labor hours), for a total labor cost of $240-$320. Materials: laminate countertops average $10-$20 per square foot.
What kind of paint do you use on laminate countertops?
Oil-Based Enamels. The most popular choice for painting Formica is oil-based enamel paints. While these paints may require two coats and take slightly longer to dry than other types, they are affordably priced and offer a large color selection.
What is the best countertop for your money?
Bang-For-Your-Buck Kitchen Countertop Materials
- Quartz. Quartz has become popular with thanks to its durability and low maintenance.
- Solid Surfacing.
- Recycled Glass.
- Wooden Butcher Block.
What is the best countertop for the price?
On average, expect countertops to range in price from $40 to $100 per square foot installed, according to a 2013 report by Consumer Reports. Granite countertops range from $50 to $250 per square foot, while tile counters can start at as little as $10; butcher block at $30, and solid surfaces at $35.
What is the most affordable countertop?
Here are five of today’s best budget kitchen countertop ideas.
- Quartz. Quartz may sound like a precious material, but when you’re talking about countertops, quartz typically refers to engineered stone.
- Granite. Unlike quartz, granite is pure, natural stone.
- Ceramic Tile.
Photo in the article by “Pixabay”