ANSWER – It is possible to grout over existing grout if there is enough depth to do so.
1/8 inch depth may or may not be adequate depending on the type of grout used.
A latex modified grout may work, but you have to properly clean the existing grout to ensure the new grout adequately bonds.
How do you remove old grout from tile?
To remove grout, start by covering the edges of the tiles with painter’s tape so they don’t get damaged. Then, make a cut down the center of each grout line using a grout saw. Next, wedge a grout scraper into the lines you cut and hit it with a hammer to chisel out the grout.
How do you fix kitchen grout?
Repair the Grout
- Clean the broken grout area with a 1-to-1 vinegar and water mixture.
- Use a grout saw to remove the loose or damaged grout.
- Dampen the tile with water and use a paper towel to absorb any that puddles in the joints.
- Hold the grout float at an angle and spread the grout, filling the joints completely.
How do you Regrout tiles?
Regrouting is a two-step process by which you first remove the hardened old grout from the seams between tiles with power tools and some manual scraping, then force new grout into the seams and let it dry before wiping of hazy residue on the tiles.
What is the best tool to remove grout?
Top 6 Picks for Best Grout Removal Tools:
- DEWALT DWE315K Oscillating Tool.
- Dremel 4000-2/30 Rotary Tool.
- Grout Grabber GG001 Grout Removal Tool for Reciprocating Saws.
- Bosch 1375A 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder.
- Kraft Tool ST147 Grout Saw.
- QEP 10020 Grout Removal Tool.
Do you have to remove all grout to Regrout?
Since the layer of new grout would be very thin and vary in thickness, it may not adhere well and the old grout could show through. Removing grout from a tile floor is not nearly as difficult as it used to be. Use a sponge and clean water to remove any excess grout or grout haze on the tile.
How do you get grout film off of tile?
Fill a bucket with warm water and, using a green scouring pad, give the haze a good scrubbing. For stubborn haze or haze that’s had a little more time to sit, this may not work. If your grout haze refuses to come up with just warm water, try a mixture of warm water and vinegar (50 percent of each).
How do you dissolve grout?
Mix 1 cup of white granulated sugar into a gallon of hot water. Stir until the sugar fully dissolves. Pour the solution over the grout, or apply it to vertical surfaces with a sponge. Leave the sugar water to soak into the grout for about two hours.
How do you remove old tile mortar?
Hammer your 1 in (2.5 cm) putty knife at a 45-degree angle to the thinset.
- You can also use a masonry chisel that is the same width.
- Continue removing the thinset in small chunks until you’ve removed enough to accommodate your new tiles.
- Always use a putty knife with a hammer-end handle and sharp blade.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”